How to Choose the Right Cosmetology School for Your Needs
You’ve Decided to Go to Beauty School or Cosmetology College
So the big day is finally here. After years of hard work, focus and determination, you’ve finally graduated and are ready for the next big step towards choosing a career. Some of your friends are off to local junior colleges, others a 4-year university, some immediately join the workforce while others become a part of nation’s armed forces or take a year off in order to do some soul searching and find out what path is right for them…
Maybe you’ve always been fascinated by cosmetology or maybe you’ve always known that you wanted an exciting career working within one of the numerous industries that depend on makeup, hair, skincare and beauty professionals worldwide and have decided that you’re ready for a fresh start and a career change. After all, the United States Department of Labor states that employment rates for hairstylists, cosmetologists, makeup artists, barbers & barber crossovers, estheticians, skin-care specialists, cosmetology manicure specialists and nail technicians has been steadily rising since 2008 and will grow more than 20% between 2015 and 2021. That means that it’s an exciting time to begin training in one or more of the following cosmetology fields:
Hairstylist (Cuts & Color) & Hairdresser
- Hair Color & Treatment Specialist (Chemicals, Relaxers, Extensions, etc.)
- Makeup Artist – Salon/Dept. Store, Freelance, Glamour, Television/Theatre/Performance
- Barber & Barber Crossover (Massage, Shave)
- Esthetician, Spa Specialist, Electrologist, Advanced Esthetician
- Cosmetology Manicure Specialist & Nail Technician
- Cosmetology Business: Salon Owner, Beauty Shop Manager, Receptionist
With all of these exciting opportunities for cosmetology school graduates within flourishing industries and the ever-growing presence of hair, beauty and skincare products, crazes and even TV personalities that have infiltrated popular culture, you’re probably wondering where to start – how do you decide what beauty college or cosmetology school you should go to?
Picking the Right Cosmetology School is Based on Several Important Factors
No matter who you are, or where or when you grew up, selecting the right school has always been one of the most important decisions you will make in your entire life. Like choosing any other post-secondary school or institute of higher education, deciding which cosmetology school is right for you and your needs is based on several important factors:
- Is the cosmetology school or beauty college an accredited institutionally accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences (NACCAS)?
- Is the cosmetology school or beauty college approved to operate in California by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE)?
- Are they transparent: Does the school comply with strict federal regulations and provide students and the public with its Federal Disclosure Requirements and BPPE Annual Reports?
- Does the cosmetology school or beauty college qualify for and offer Federal Student Aid, Grants and Student Loans?
- What Industry Memberships & Accreditations does the cosmetology school or beauty college hold?
- Is the tuition for the cosmetology school or beauty college affordable? Do they offer options to their students?
- What are the classroom sizes at the cosmetology school or beauty college?
- Is the campus safe and is the classroom equipment at the school up-to-date with technology & the latest procedures and industry trends?
- Morale: What is the overall student consensus towards the institution and its faculty
- Does the cosmetology school or beauty college offer assistance to graduates in finding a job after they graduate?
- Are there bi-lingual programs offered to students?
This list probably just scrapes the surface (or simply frosts the tips) when it comes to choosing the best beauty college or cosmetology school for your needs, but it’s a great place to start. Other obvious factors include the length of commute to the campus, the cosmetology school’s history and reputation within the industry can all help you decide on whether or not a cosmetology school, beauty school or makeup academy is the right one for you.
Why is Colleen O’Hara’s Beauty Academy The Best Cosmetology School in Orange County?
At Colleen O’Hara’s Beauty Academy , we’ve built an impeccable reputation and have been a cornerstone in the hair, makeup, beauty and skincare education industry for over 20 years. Located in the heart of Orange County in Santa Ana, California, Colleen O’Hara’s Beauty Academy has stood out from the rest of the cosmetology schools in Orange County by building a strong foundation and never cutting corners when it comes to preparing & educating our students as well as choosing the right staff.
Colleen O’Hara’s Beauty Academy holds several long-term national accreditations and memberships, including accreditation by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS), and membership with California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools (CAPPS), American Association of Cosmetology Schools (AACS), National Cosmetology Association (NCA) and the Cosmetology Educators of America (CEA). This is important because it means we meet and exceed the rigorous standards set forth by these agencies, which also means that as a cosmetology student at Colleen O’Hara’s Beauty Academy, you can not only rest assured that you’re attending one of the best cosmetology schools in Orange County, but one of the best in the nation as well. We adhere to these agencies’ strict guidelines & standards and pass that value and commitment along to our students and staff.
If you’re considering a career as a cosmetologist, barber, hair stylist, beautician, makeup artist, esthetician, nail technician or in one of the many fields that fall into the vast beauty, hair and skincare industries, Colleen O’Hara’s Beauty Academy has you covered. Our tuition is affordable for most students and we are one of the few beauty and cosmetology schools in Orange County that qualify for participation in the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Pell Grants, and Federal Student Loans (financial aid) by the U.S. Department of Education. We offer bi-lingual cosmetology classes to help you pass the rigorous California State Board of Cosmetology exam and our instructors teach with a firsthand knowledge of what it takes to pass the state cosmetology test and excel and thrive as an expert in each of their respective fields.
Graduates from The Colleen O’Hara Beauty Academy are some of the best and most knowledgeable professionals within their industry. Our Orange County cosmetology school graduates can be found in various professions working internationally, on movie & television sets in Hollywood, behind the scenes at designer fashion shows, photography studios and runway events, setting their own hours as independent hairstylists and freelance makeup artists, salon owners and managers, as well as traveling on cruise ships offering spa services and offshore skincare. Other graduates stay close to home – they love setting their own hours, working face-to-face with people, helping others and even teaching others to do the same.
Colleen O’Hara’s Beauty Academy would like to help you in making the right decision for your future and giving you a firsthand look at how we can help you not only pass the California State Cosmetology Exam, but to also be a part of a solid team with an excellent reputation for being one of the best cosmetology schools in Orange County. We understand that choosing the right cosmetology school or beauty college can be a massive undertaking. We’re here to ensure our students success and would like to invite you to call us toll-free with any questions at (888) 463-7869 and schedule your free tour of our campus today!